The Royal Ambassador
Dating back to 1902, The Royal Ambassador property, and Innis Lake, were purchased by the local Innis family, and served as a social gathering place. In 1936, Murving and Annie Innis built a second hall on the north side of the lake, where locals of Peel County, Caledon East, Albion, and Chinguacousy communities attended many parties, dances and where many couples met and were married.
Innis Lake was the spot to be for locals, hosting Big Band Orchestras, The Good Brothers and serving as the venue of the Mariposa Folk Festivals, where big Canadian names like Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell left pieces of their legacies.
After two major floods, one of which caused by Hurricane Hazel, Mary and Don Currie, daughter, and son-in-law of Murv and Annie’s, as well as their children, constructed the next generation of the Innis Lake Banquet Hall. This hall offered a venue for dancing, celebrations, and fine dining.
After purchasing the property in 2003, the current owners renovated and expanded the existing building. They also completed a substantial landscaping of the entire grounds, all the while keeping in touch with the Currie family, ensuring they stay true to their vision for the property and exceeding their expectations. The grand opening of The Royal Ambassador was in June of 2004; a lavish event space with elegant finishings and grounds that pay homage to its country origins.